Quantitative methodology: An introduction
I’ve taught my last class for the semester and I thought I’d make available the booklet that I wrote for teaching my class on quantitative methodology. You can download it here.
It contains seven reading assignments (mostly empirical studies that serve as examples) and ten chapters with lectures:
- Association and causality.
- Constructing a control group.
- Alternative explanations.
- Inferential statistics 101. (The course is not a statistics course, but there’s no avoiding talking about p-values given their omnipresence.)
- Increasing precision.
- Pedagogical interventions.
- Within-subjects experiments.
- Quasi-experiments and correlational studies.
- Constructs and indicators.
- Questionable research practices.
I’ve also included two appendices:
- Reading difficult results sections.
- Reporting research transparently.
Hopefully some of you find it useful, and feel free to let me know what you think.